Re: Next obsession...

To: Scott Fisher <sfisher@megatest.com>
Subject: Re: Next obsession...
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 13:16:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 14 Jun 1994, I wrote:

> ~ I've been thinking an MGB would be a good companion for Kermit.  On my way
> ~ out of Hildene, I spotted a friend who has one each 70 and 74 MGB
> ~ roadsters for sale.  He was showing the 74, and I sat in it.  I felt a bit
> ~ confined; it especially seemed that the top was low and the windshield
> ~ narrow and far away.  I don't feel that way in Kermit, and I don't recall

And Scott Fisher replied:

> You really confused me till I realized that you had the top up.  That's
> easy to fix -- take the bloody thing off and put it in the corner of the
> garage.

I hate to admit this, but it often rains here, and I wimp out and want the
top up...  I didn't used to, but I am pretty old and arthritic now, and
sitting in cold puddles has lost the attraction it once had.

> The B's cockpit is noticeably roomier than a Sprite's, if only because
> the car is larger.  As a benchmark, if I shove a Sprite's seat all the
> way back, I can convince myself that I fit because Spridgets are so
> much fun, and the 90-degree bend in the elbow is very Vintage in feel.
> In the B, if I shove the seat all the way back, I can't push the clutch
> pedal all the way down, and I can just hook my fingertips over the wheel
> with my arms at full extension.  The B is only a couple of inches wider
> than a Sprite, but if you have long legs, there's no contest.

Bugeyes are considerably roomier than later Spridgets.  One's elbows fit
nicely into the doors, occupying space used for windup windows in later
models.  And the bugeye seat backs are thinner than those in later models,
which allows another inch or two of legroom.  The windshield is all of
1.37 inches forward of the wheel, which makes it seem taller than it is.

> As for the windscreen, you're right; it is low, and the folding hood
> comes down just above your head.  I suspect that one's proportions,

I think that is part of what bothered me.  I am not all that tall, but I
had to duck to see clearly to the left.

> If you like the idea of a B, but for some misguided, morally depraved
> reason you want a roof, may I suggest the MGB-GT?  There are many who

That may be a solution.  I have a problem worse than your search for a
$5000 wonderful car.  I *need* practical cars; I *want* impractical ones.
I am buying a fixer-upper house, and need something to carry plywood,
sheetrock, and lumber.  I need a reliable appliance car for winter.  I
presently have an 87 Prelude and a 60 Sprite.

I am weighing options.  1) keep old Prelude, buy old pickup, use saved
money to buy MG or Sunbeam.  Problem: 4 vehicles, 4 insurances, 4
inspections, and in a couple more years the 'lude will be old enough to be
funky and marginally reliable in its own right.  2) Trade 'lude for new
station wagon.  Problem: expensive, I don't like most station wagons, and
there would be no money left for another lbc, not to mention wine, women,
and song.

I am tempted by a GT.  I do in fact like its looks better than the looks
of the roadster.  I wonder what a GT would carry if I put racks on the
top?  I don't see why it would hurt it if I was sensible about it.  And as
I've mentioned before, I've seen a lovely light grey one with red interior
that I'd like to duplicate.

One hangup is that I pointed out two lovely GT's to my lady friend last
weekend, and her response was that an MGB should have a folding top to be
a real MG.  (She remembers fondly her 74 BRG MGB.) But maybe she'll come
around.  I wonder if any BGT's were imported with those huge webasto
sunroofs?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910