Re: heritage of BMC/BL engines

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu, todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: heritage of BMC/BL engines
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 14:46:57 +0800
~ > (For example, the side-covers that leaked on my MGB from
~ > January through early May were holdovers from the original
~ > side-valve days, in which they were used to adjust the
~ > valve gear back when "valve lift" was literally correct.)
~
~ Thank you, Scott.  I've wondered for a long time about the function of these
~ nuisances.  The mechanic in me could see no obvious reason for cutting two
~ holes in the side of an engine whose only purpose was to provide something
~ to bolt a couple of covers to.

This is why the 1275cc version of the A Series -- which was
re-engineered in the mid-Sixties -- has no tappet covers.
Flathead motors, however, have to have their valves adjusted
via plates in the side, so you can measure and adjust tappet
clearance.  Of course, since both the Bedford and for that
matter even the Stovebolt were both ohv engines, the presence
of side covers on the B Series is even stranger.  About the
only thing they're good for today is making sure that the
pushrods are positively engaged in the top of the tappet.

~ And, of course, mine leak.  (Hmmmmm, maybe _that's_ why they're
~ there...)

Shhh.  They're part of the automatic chassis rustproofing
system...

--Scott