Re: Next obsession...

To: sfisher@megatest.com, gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: Next obsession...
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 16:23:25 +0800
~ On Tue, 14 Jun 1994, I wrote:
~
~ > ~ I've been thinking an MGB would be a good companion for Kermit.  On my way
~ > ~ out of Hildene, I spotted a friend who has one each 70 and 74 MGB
~ > ~ roadsters for sale.

~ I hate to admit this, but it often rains here, and I wimp out and want the
~ top up...  I didn't used to, but I am pretty old and arthritic now, and
~ sitting in cold puddles has lost the attraction it once had.

Plus I just checked your address.  Even if you're not down the street
from Santa's Workshop, if you even call the place "North Pole" you are
hereby excused.

~ Bugeyes are considerably roomier than later Spridgets.

I know; I have actually driven Bugeyes, as well as kept them in the
garage to sit in and make vrooming noises... :-)  In addition to the
doors, it always seems as though you can get the seat a little farther
back in a Bugeye than a Spridget, or maybe it's just those cute if
not terribly orthopedic little bucket seats.

~ > As for the windscreen, you're right; it is low, and the folding hood
~ > comes down just above your head.  I suspect that one's proportions,
~
~ I think that is part of what bothered me.  I am not all that tall, but I
~ had to duck to see clearly to the left.

That is the biggest difference between the windscreens on the B Tourer
and the BGT.  The original Abingdon styling for the GT, BTW, called for
using the same windscreen, and John Thornley (managing director for
M.G.) described it later as "this horribly overbrowed, beetly-looking
thing" or words to that effect.  They sent to Pininfarina who solved
the whole problem cheaply by putting an Austin America roof and hatch
on the B with a windscreen that let them get the roof approximately
level.  When this returned, they were gleeful, and Thornley commented
that "at last we've made a car that any managing director wouldn't
be embarrassed to drive to work."  (Though I confess that when I make
the partly successful attempt to smooth out my hair on the way into
the office these days, I'm glad I'm not a managing director... :-)
(Managing Director, or M.D., is roughly comparable to CEO in the US.)

I will say that whenever I drive the MGB with the top in place, I'm
always surprised at how enjoyable the car is even without the wind
in the face.  As for the height (or lack) of the folding hood, the
MGB seat backs are adjustable for rake (at least in the 70 and 74
models you have mentioned, not sure about earlier ones).  So you
may be able to get some alleviation simply by leaning the seat
farther back; this not only lowers your head (by simple triangulation)
but also puts you at a higher portion of the bonnet.  But for real
comfort and snug protection, the real solution is:

~ > If you like the idea of a B, but for some misguided, morally depraved

(BTW, thanks for understanding that I'm making fun of myself, not you...)

~ > reason you want a roof, may I suggest the MGB-GT?  There are many who
~
~ That may be a solution.  I have a problem worse than your search for a
~ $5000 wonderful car.  I *need* practical cars; I *want* impractical ones.
~ I am buying a fixer-upper house, and need something to carry plywood,
~ sheetrock, and lumber.  I need a reliable appliance car for winter.  I
~ presently have an 87 Prelude and a 60 Sprite.

If you like, I'll look into the Morris Minor Pickup Truck that Shel Hall
has located here in Carmel...  Actually, that would really be the thing
for you, as it shares many components with the Sprite; you could buy in
bulk and save money! :-)

~ I am weighing options.  1) keep old Prelude, buy old pickup, use saved
~ money to buy MG or Sunbeam.  Problem: 4 vehicles, 4 insurances, 4
~ inspections, and in a couple more years the 'lude will be old enough to be
~ funky and marginally reliable in its own right.

Yeah, but by then the LBCs will be in fine fettle and you can sell the
Quaalude to a high-school kid who'll do whatever stupid thing high-school
kids are doing to cars by that time.  On the other hand, having room
to store four cars is a problem, especially if you like to keep one in
the garage but use it regularly, as this means you can't keep one of
your other cars behind the garage car, if I haven't lost everyone with
that logic.

~ 2) Trade 'lude for new
~ station wagon.  Problem: expensive, I don't like most station wagons, and
~ there would be no money left for another lbc, not to mention wine, women,
~ and song.

Oh, Ray, don't trade wine, women and song for a *station wagon*.  Trade
them for a sports car, yes, because it'll help at least with the women
and song part, but save the wagon for when you have to haul a load of
Cub Scouts or Brownies (as the case may be) to band practice and the like.

~ I am tempted by a GT.  I do in fact like its looks better than the looks
~ of the roadster.  I wonder what a GT would carry if I put racks on the
~ top?

The roof is a reasonable size, and fairly sturdy; I'd guess you can
probably get more on the roof of a BGT than you can on your Honda,
and the interior room is larger as well.

~ I don't see why it would hurt it if I was sensible about it.  And as
~ I've mentioned before, I've seen a lovely light grey one with red interior
~ that I'd like to duplicate.
~
~ One hangup is that I pointed out two lovely GT's to my lady friend last
~ weekend, and her response was that an MGB should have a folding top to be
~ a real MG.

John Thornley (q.v.) drove a BGT.  That's good enough for me.  Tell
her that I say it's okay, and I have a brick from the Abingdon factory
on my mantelpiece. :-)

Besides, have I never explained The Car Wardrobe (TM)?  And also
besides, an MGB-GT will get along better with a Bugeye than an MGB
tourer, if only because they will occupy even more different niches
than the MGB and the Bugeye do already.  Kermit will be less prone
to fits of pique if you explain that the MGB-GT is for driving on
bad days, and the at-this-point-still-putative MGB-GT will feel a
fond pride in knowing that you rely on it when you want comfort and
protection against the elements, in a classic and elegant grand tourer.

~ (She remembers fondly her 74 BRG MGB.) But maybe she'll come
~ around.  I wonder if any BGT's were imported with those huge webasto
~ sunroofs?

Some, and more had them installed.  I'd recommend against it, though;
you've got Kermit for top-down days, keep the GT for driving on cold
nights, the flicker of the yellow Lucas lamps picking out the twists
in the road, whisking across the yellow line like a duellist's sword
as you return home, snug within windows and roof and secure in the
knowledge that you know what Grand Touring *really* means.

--Scott "Hey, maybe *I* ought to buy one!" Fisher