car sighting...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: car sighting...
From: Croaker the Physician <markl@us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 12:09:34 PDT
[Possibly no B-C content, depending on the answer :-]

I saw a very interesting car in Atherton yesterday, and I thought I'd see if
anyone knew what it was.  Biggest clue is probably the licence plate
"R AUBURN", although if "Auburn" is the car make, it isn't one I'm familiar
with.

It looked to be mid-30s or early '40s vintage, large-ish luxury two-seater
drop-head coupe, either British or maybe American.  The radiator ornament
wasn't one I was familiar with (Rolls, Bentley, Packard).  The car had a
square-rigged body with a boat tail, and a long bonnet with a number (3 or 4
anyway) of chrome exhaust pipes on each side coming out the side and down
through the wings, like on a Deusenberg.  On the side of the bonnet in chrome
script were the words "Super Charged".  I think it also had large headlights
mounted between the bonnet and the wing, like pre MG-TF T-series cars.

Anyway, it was beautiful, and I have never seen one like it before.  Any
ideas?

markl

Mark L. Lambert
Mobile Systems Group, Network Products Division
Oracle Corporation

"I drink it when I'm happy and when I'm sad.  Sometimes I drink it when I'm
alone.  When I have company I consider it obligatory.  I trifle with it if
I'm not hungry and drink it when I am.  Otherwise I never touch it...unless
I'm thirsty"

        -- Mme. Lily Bollinger, on Champagne