shipping a car from New Orleans to England

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: shipping a car from New Orleans to England
From: Simon.Matthews@tiuk.ti.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 12:05:11 BST
Larry asked:

<<<< PPS - Does anyone know how much it costs to ship a car from New Orleans to
England?>>>

Well, haviing shipped my MGB from Dallas to England last year, I can give you
some pointers, but first, you need to consider how you are shipping it.
Will it be sent in a container? or RO-RO?

If sent in a RO-RO, the car must start and be drivable at both ports. They will
boost the battery for you but anything more than this and you may have problems.

If sent in a container, there is no such problem. However, containers are more
expensive. Don't expect the car to arrive free of new scratches either -- my
car (containerized) aquired a couple of extra marks.

Also, how are you going to get it to the port? This may not be a problem if
you can get the car shipped out of NO, but this depends upon other cars also
being shipped out of NO to England (You don't want all of that container to
yourself do you?)

So, to costs. For me it cost:
$1250 shipping, Dallas to London
$ 90 Insurance on above
UKL 250 destination charges (unloading, devanning, import agent)
UKL 100 shipping to my house (battery, despite being 6 months old was utterly
dead on arrival and had to be recharged several times before it would hold
any charge, hence driving it to my house was impossible).

I had no tax or duty to pay because I had owned and USED the car for 6 months
whilst being resident abroad for 12 months.

RO-RO would be significantly cheaper, maybe about 30-40% less.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,
       Simon