Re: Help with auto-choke problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with auto-choke problem
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 18:52:07 EDT
>>I have a '80 MGB that I just replaced the throttle cable on, but know the
>>auto-choke doesn't seem to be working.  On a cold start, it idles extremely

>>low.  When I adjust the idle speed to its cold setting, the idle becomes
>>excessive when the engine is warm.  Any thoughts about this would be
>>appreciated.

I assume that you are using the original Zenith-
Stromberg carb.  If so, the fast idle adjustment screw is not
the same as the warm idle adjustment screw.  Both the Haynes
and Robert Bentley shop manuals have some good diagrams
which will show you where these adjustments are.

If that is not the problem, check that your fast idle pin is not
sticking.  The fast idle pin is a small plastic pin which comes
out of the bottom of the automatic choke housing and acts
as a throttle stop when the choke is on.  When I got my MGB,
this pin had melted into a formless blob and was sticking in the
off position, thus preventing my automatic choke from operating.
If this is your problem your only real solution is to remove it
and make do without a fast idle.  That is what I did for two years
untilI converted the car to dual SUs.

The only other option is an outfit called Matthew's Foreign Car
in Birmingham, Alabama (800-533-3839).  When I spoke to him
about a year ago, he had some rebuilt automatic choke housings
which, he assured me, had the fast idle pin intact, but he wanted
about $100 for one, hence my solution.

Good luck

Peter Schauss
1980 MGB