Re: Sunbeam GT

To: LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Bob Lang)
Subject: Re: Sunbeam GT
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 6:06:36 CDT
Bob Lang writes:
> If anyone has any production numbers on this car, I for one would be
>interested.
> I saw one for sale at Carlisle, PA back in May. It was grey, and it was a
> hatchback body style as opposed to an Alpine with a hardtop bolted on. I don't
> precisely recall what the badges said, but I do specifically recall the
> LeMans badge on both front fenders just forward of the doors.

"Unfortunately, factory records giving accurate production figures
have long since been destroyed, but it is thought that approximately
150 Harrington Alpine GTs were produced together with 250 or more
Harrington LeMans."

The Harrington Alpine was based on the Alpine Series II and had a
1592cc engine giving 80 bhp.  It had the normal Alpine rear end with
the outrageous tail fins, and a small boot lid.

The Harrington LeMans was a special edition to celebrate the Alpine's
success in the 1961 LeMans.  The Harrington LeMans used a completely
different rear end, without the tail fins, and had a hatchback rather
than a boot lid, special LeMans badging, and the 1592cc engine tuned
to 104 bhp at 6000 rpm.

There was to be a 3rd version of the GT, known as "type C".  Only a
handful of prototypes were constructed.  This car had the tail fins
like the original GT, but the hatchback like the LeMans.

Source for all the above info is "Tiger: The Making of a Sports Car",
2nd ed., by Mike Taylor.

I hope to post a composite GIF showing all 3 of the GTs.
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922
Intergraph Corp. | Mapping Sciences Division | Huntsville, AL, USA