LBC's Butter Side Down

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: LBC's Butter Side Down
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 94 14:23:35 PDT
  Dear SOLers,

I used to work at a British Car Junk yard, so I've seen several LBC (and BBC)
rollovers.  All Jag Sedans have faired well, even 420 and MKII.  Range Rovers
seem to do the best.  (just screw on a new Aluminium roof and you're off)
E-type convertibles do not do well.   MGB's do OK, if the rollover doesn't
involve IMPACT loading to the windscreen frame.  Since they are Alloy, they
SNAP at the base, and then don't help much.  I saw one late 'B that had one
of it's windscreen posts snapped, and the other intact.  I belive the occupant
was OK.  The car was fixed relatively easily.
  Triumph cars that have the Steel 1-piece windscreen frame fair differently.
The steel bends under loading, instead of snapping.  If the rollover is light,
the windscreen frame can absorb the energy of the collision (by deforming).
But if the energy of the rollover is more than the frame can absorb, it just
folds over on your head.
  TR-4 thru TR-6 , and early Spits and GT-6's as well as Heralds and Vitesses
have this steel windscreen.  Since the windscreen is the same part for all of
these cars (except for r-view mirror and visor mounting holes), the heavier
cars don't do as well as the lighter ones.

  I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is mostly up to the intensity of
the rollover.  Light rolls seem to be survivable in most cases.
If you're serious, you should get a rollbar.

 I hope this helps

Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu