Re: TR6 Bypass valves

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Bypass valves
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 23:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

> So, this weekend - off with the carbs (did a complete rebuild, just becuase
> I was there).  Sure enough, they were attached to the carb body with a
> solid gasket.  When I looked at the valve itself more closely, I found that
> one of them was OK, but the other had the adjusting screw snapped off flush
> with the outside of the body.  The seat for the valve itself was a bit
> pitted too - I don't know if thats a problem.
>
> I'm kind of getting a sinking feeling about this, because I've never seen
> any for sale in TRF, Moss, etc.  Does anyone have any ideas on where I
> could get one?  I really only need the two part threaded thing-a-bob, but
> I'll take it any way I can get it.
>
> The carb is a C3613 (1974).
>
> mike.

 Not too long ago, I tangled with a V12 E-Type that stalled approaching
traffic lights on warmish days. Turned out that not only had someone
put a blanking gasket under the decel valves, they had removed all of the
guts; spring, adjuster, everything...  From ALL FOUR carbs! I took the
only option available (after joking the owner about having to convert
to a hexi-Weber setup). I called English Cars Spares down in Georgia.
After a bit of talking, I convinced them that I really wanted used decel
valves for the hard parts and I didn't care about the diaphrams. I asked
for four, and he shipped me five, at a price that was hardly worth his time.
Good folks there. They really didn't like the idea of selling used parts
that probably would not work out of the box.

   Randy