Re: Deceleration By-Pass valve

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Deceleration By-Pass valve
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 23:20:34 -0400 (EDT)
Ian wailed:

> Wish I could.  WHAT adjuster!?  The pictures and diagrams all show an
> adjusting screw on the outside; alas, mine are blocked off and can only be
> adjusted by disassembly.  Makes it *real* hard to tune while the car's
> running.  mutter mutter...    Do the new ones you can buy have an external
> adjusting screw?

 The adjuster is there. If you can't see it, tis because you have a model that
had the lead "anti-tamper" caps. As stated here, just knock them out. On
the ones with the anti-tamper cap, the adjusting screw is shorter; short
enough that it's recessed slightly into the body. This may be why someone
thought theirs was broken off.

>    Blocking them off is easy, you just make a blank gasket.
>
> Um, couldn't I just adjust the hell out of it till it didn't open at all?
> In CA we have to think about nosy emissions inspectors and everything...

I don't think anyone would catch the blanked gasket trick without disassem'ing
the carbs. To clarify what I thought I might have said... You can diasble the
decel valves by replacing the normal mounting gasket with one that is blank;
no air passage holes in it. Just the three screw holes.

> --ian

   Randy