Westminster

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Westminster
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 94 18:56:04 MDT
@LURK_MODE=OFF

Curt Onstott asked yesterday:

>I found a running Austin Westminster for sale locally for $500.  It has a
>6 cylinder engine and looks fairly straight.  Does anybody know anything
>else about them?

Yup. 10 years ago I bought a '61 A110 Westminster for $300. It had ~30K
miles on it and was in beautiful shape, except for the rusted rocker's.
It's a fine car for the highway, that is to say once it gets going it
keeps going: low on power, high on weight 3470/120=29 lb/hp!!.
Of note it has a BMC C series engine with integral intake for the twin
H4's. It's very similar to the 100/6 and MGC engine of the same vintage,
so if you know someone in need of the lump $500 is a good price.

If you can get it, the Complete Catalogue of Austin Cars has a few pages
on the thing, if not I might be able to FAX the relevant pages.

My Austin book says: A99 59-61, A110 61-64, A110 Mk II 64-68, esentially
the same spec for all. They were targeted at the RR >Jag >big Austin end
of the scale, i.e. big luxurious family sedan. Early ones had a 3 in-
the-tree box (like the big AH's 1st was locked out cuz it was too low)
and an autobox, later models had a 4 speed and BW35 autobox. Overdrive
was optional.

>From my manual it says this about engine numbers:
29      A99                     July 1959
29V     princess Mk1            October 59
29W     Wolseley 6/99           July 59
29A     Austin A110 Mk1         September 61
29VA    Princess MkII           July 61
29WA    Wolseley 6/110          September 61
29A     Austin A110 MkII        March 64
29WA    Wolseley 6/110 MkII     March 64

Otherwise, in spite of it being a fine car to drive, with classic lines
etc. it ain't worth beans as a collectable car. Your choice. If you do
decide to buy it and KEEP it, E-me and I'll slug you my Haynes workshop
manual, only slightly fingered.

@LURK_MODE=ON

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Edmonton, Alberta, Canada          |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *