re- Setting valves on a He

To: "Peter Schauss" <Pschauss@aol.com>
Subject: re- Setting valves on a He
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 14 Jul 1994 11:15:25 U
                      re:  Setting valves on a Healey 3000

Peter writes

> The shop manual (official BMC version) for my Healey
> 3000 (BJ7)  says to set the valves at 0.012" with the
> engine cold, but there is a plate on the valve cover
> which says to set them to the same setting with the
> engine hot.  Do any Healey owners on the net know
> which is correct?

I'm at work, and didn't bring my shop manual in with me
today :-) but I and everyone I know with a big Healey
always set the valves hot.  By the way, the factory rally
cars set the valves at 0.015" rather than 0.012".  On my
street Healey I usually aim for about 0.014" on the
assumption that it's better to hear the valves than to
smell them.  I do sometimes autocross the car.  On my
vintage racer I go for 0.015".

          --  Dave L.