Re: freaky clutch...I don't understand...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: freaky clutch...I don't understand...
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 07:10:19 EDT
Marcus writes:

>>I'll attempt some ascii....
>>
>>My slave cyl. as it sits in the car right now...
>>
>>              bleeder
>>              _____   __________________________
>>             |____|  |______________________ ,-,|
>>             |\  \  \  \  \   | \_____/     | | |
>>-------------| \  \  \  \  \  | piston+    / _|_________________
>>pipe in->       \  \spring  \ |rubber cup  ||_______rod to arm__
>>-------------|   \  \  \  \  \|  ______    \  | |
>>             |____\__\__\__\__\_/______\____|,|,|
>>           |__________________________________|
>>                                            ^
>>                                            circlip
>>                                      i.e, the piston is AGAINST
>>                                      the circlip, pushed there
>>                                      by the spring!

And I'll speculate:
Marcus:  Isn't there some leftwards preasure (wrt your nice drawing) on the
piston from the rod?  That is: the spring pushes on the piston from one
direction and the rod pushes on the pin from the other direction and when
you depress the clutch pedal, the spring side preasure increase
(hydarulically) and the rod moves to disengage the clutch.  So, in the
absence of the engine (i.e. in the absence of this leftward preasure by the
rod) the pedal will feel the resistance of the piston meeting the end flange
of the slave wall.

Yes/no?  This is my speculation, not based on a detailed knowledge of the
slave.

Will Zehring