crankshaft pulley nut bent!!!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: crankshaft pulley nut bent!!!
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 08:31:06 CDT
Yesterday afternoon I was putting the finishing touches to the engine by fitting
some final few peices. I put on all the timing gear, then tried to fit the
crankshaft pulley nut. Hmmmm...it wouldn't 'catch'. I looked at it carefully
and the threads looked a little flattened, so I took the engine and nut to
my machinist who chased the thread in the crank, then mounted the crankshaft
nut in a lathe chase the thread on that. He span the nut....and it wobbled
about 5mm!!!!! It was bent!!!! How on earth can something that hefty get bent?
My machinist said I was probably haveing difficulty getting the nut in because
it was bent. I ordered a new one, and hopefully that will sought it out.

Marcus