Master brake cyl. on 72 Midget - reply

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Master brake cyl. on 72 Midget - reply
From: JWCHESLEY@aamc.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 18:27:38 -0500
Marcus is just starting on the joy of M/C rebuilding:

<<<I took off the master ccyl. to fit a rebuild kit, and I am
having trouble getting the first spring washer thingy off. My
fingers aren't striong enough to hold the piston down while I
try and unhook the damn thing with my other hand.
Any hints on how to do this???>>>

- Just finished one... clamp the cylinder in a vice, hold the
spring and cup down with a Channellock pliers holding the
cup and the thick M/C flange, and ease the thin spiral
washer off with a tiny screwdriver or a small knife, it actually
makes 2 turns around the piston.
..
then,
the first snap ring is easy, but the only way I've ever gotten
the nylon washer out is to CAREFULLY drill a bunch of
holes around it until I could break it up into pieces.. it's easy
to nick the piston surface (probably comes out real easy if
you blow compressed air into the first pipe fitting, but I don't
have a compressor, in fact, take it to a garage if you need
to, this is the way to go)
the second snap ring is not too bad if you have a small
needlenose pliers or a hemostat (LOVE those hemostats)...
and the piston slides right out....
THEN you'll probably find that, even though there is hardly
any WEAR on the bore, there is almost certainly a small (or
large) patch or two of rust where a tiny drop of water has
been sitting for all those years.  Time for either a sleeve or a
rebuilt M/C.
..
happened to me 2 out of 3 times I tried it... good luck.

- jack