Spark Plugs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spark Plugs
From: Michael G Hering <MGHering@world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
        After putting in a new engine this winter, I had trouble with the
engine misfiring at low idle on no.s 1 and 3.  When it was dark one night
I noticed that the spark was jumping ffom the bent plastic insulator at
the end of the wire over to the heater pipe.  If I twirled the plasic
elbow away from the pipe, it jumped about 1/2-3/4 of an inch to the
head.  I couldn't figure out why the spark should want to jump that gap
rather than the one inside the chamber, and I couldn't fathom why it
should only happen at low idle.  The plugs in question were champions
that were from my old engine, but had very little miles on them.  I
replaced them with new NGK's and everything works great.  I still don't
know what was wrong.  Perhaps they were too oil fouled from my last
engine and not getting a good ground.  Maybe they were bad plugs.  I just
know I'll be using NGKs from now on.

                                Michael Hering  '67 TR4A IRS