Re: Spark Plugs

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 05:57:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 28 Jul 1994, Christopher Ball wrote:

> Interesting Chip. I got a great deal of "yes, I gave up on Champs and
> went to NGK" mail. You 're the first pro-Champ mail, and I consider you a
> well informed voice.
>
> It may have been a defect, or as you say, I was using L87YC s so the
> range may be off. What heat range are you using?

Did I forget to say?  I use L87Y or L87YC set to 0.025".  That's the plug
Champion recommends for the TR2/3/4.  It's an extended nose plug, giving
it a fairly wide heat range compared to the original plugs.  If you buy
them now you'll get L87YC rather than L87Y.  The only reason I mentioned
the old L87Y is that I bought a case of them about fifteen years ago at a
local parts store's going out of business sale.  Sold a bunch at flea
markets, gave them away as raffle prizes, but still have several sets
left.  They're correct for TR2/3/4 _and_ T-Type MGs, which is
convenient.  The set currently in the TR4 are L87YC.  Don't remember why
I went out and bought them instead of using L87Ys from my stockpile.  The
only difference is that the L87YC has a copper conductor.

> I have the new NGKs in now and all is well. However, it may be that while
> I had that valve out of adjustment that the plug got all fouled up.

If NGKs do the job, then by all means use them.  Unless you use cheap
no-namers from J.C.Whitney or some place like thhat, the brand doesn't
really matter as long as the heat range works for your engine.  I've never
had fouling problems with the Champions, unless the engine was a real oil
burner or the mixture was way too rich.  The set currently in my TR4 have
been there for about 40,000 miles.  The electrodes are pretty badly worn
so I'll have to replace them one of these days, but they're clean as a
whistle.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)