Hot sweaty synthetic oils

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot sweaty synthetic oils
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 08:08:38 MDT
Hernando wrote:

 > I heard somewhere (maybe here?) that the use of synthetic oils in older
 > cars, my '73 TR6 in particular, may lead to some damage.  I remember

I don't believe that they will eat rubber seals, you might be
remembering that DOT3 brake fluid will eat rubber seals.  This is
true.

I run Mobil1 15W50 in my '75 TR6, and I'm happy with the results.  I
put it in after the breakin of a rebuild three years ago.  My only
complaint is that it seems to find its way out of the valve cover more
easily than the Castrol 20W50.  Anyway, I wouldn't be afraid to run
synthetic in an older engine.  I even called Mobil Oil Co, and talked
to a researcher and asked if it was wise to use their synthetic in a
20 year old engine.  He said that the only disadvantage would be that
it might clean out some old deposits, and then start burning a little
oil.  Other than that, he said it would be better than running a
"stock" oil.  (Of course he works for "the company".)

Greg wrote:

 > ... we'll have some hot nights.  Not 'hot' like that, get your
 > minds out of the gutter.  Hot as in hot sweaty thighs and legs.

Thanks greg, now my mind is in the gutter.  :-)  Synthetic Oil should
cool things off a bit.  Friction == Heat ya know.  Humm, So much for
being a family list.  Greg, if you come through Boulder, CO, give us a
shout.  Have a great trip!

-Scotty "starter ring" Paisley          (paisley@bldrdoc.gov)