Re: Hot sweaty synthetic oils

To: "Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691" <paisley@boulder.nist.gov>
Subject: Re: Hot sweaty synthetic oils
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 07:15:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 26 Jul 1994, Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691 wrote:

> Hernando wrote:
>
>  > I heard somewhere (maybe here?) that the use of synthetic oils in older
>  > cars, my '73 TR6 in particular, may lead to some damage.  I remember
>
> I don't believe that they will eat rubber seals, you might be
> remembering that DOT3 brake fluid will eat rubber seals.  This is
> true.

Synthetic oil doesn't eat British engine seals, and it's just as
beneficial in British engines as in any others.  One major problem which
has given synth oil a bad name in BritCars is that a lot of old British
engines have pretty crude oil sealing setups to start with, and leak or
burn oil pretty badly when old and worn.  High oil consumption (regardless
of reason) makes the use of synthhetic oil pretty expensive.  The same is
true of _any_ old (or poorly rebuilt) engine, British or otherwise.

As for DOT3 brake fluid, the story that it rots British brake seals has
been around nearly forever, but there's no truth to it.  The old BritCar
owner's manuals used to say "Use genuine Lockheed (or Girling) fluid, but
if you can't get it use any good brand" or words to that effect.  Those
with seperate recommendations for the North American market often said
"...or any good brand of DOT3 fluid".

I use silicone brake fluid these days, but accumulated many, many
thousands of BritCar miles using DOT3 fluid and have _never_ experienced
any problems with it.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)