Should a TR6 accelerate smoothly in 4th at 1750 RPM?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Should a TR6 accelerate smoothly in 4th at 1750 RPM?
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 20:15:59 -0400
Well, I'm still looking for the right Triumph for me...  I looked at a
'76 TR6 for sale this evening.  Because of rust through the front
rocker end caps, and on the inner rocker, I think I'll probably stay
away from the car.  However, it has led to a question, because I
recall this on two of the TR6's I've test driven, and didn't check on
the ones driven before that.

Should a TR6 accellerate smoothly in 4th gear from about 1750 RPM?  I
have been trying that type of accelleration lately in test drives to
check that the engine produces good torque, and that the clutch isn't
slipping.  However, the TR6 I drove tonight would sputter when pushed
hard in 4th at about 1750 RPM (I forget how fast that is - ~35?).  The
car would still accellerate some (although greatly reduced), until
RPMs got to about 2250 or so, at which point everything would be fine.
This same problem occurred in the last one I drove, as well.  (The '79
Spitfire I drove two night's ago seemed just fine under these same
circumstances.)

I presume this isn't "normal" for a TR6.  (Well, maybe it's normal,
but is that the way it's *supposed* to be? :-))  What is this behavior
a symptom of?  Maladjusted carbs?  Worn carb needles?  Other ideas?

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631