Re: Thanks List - Bikes

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks List - Bikes
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 15:08:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Sep 1994, Roland Dudley wrote:

> You've gone over the edge.  British bikes AND British cars?!!
> MGHMOYS.

Since Mom Gibbons didn't raise any dumb boys, I quickly devined the
meaning of MGHMOYS.  In fact, it suggested a way of saving bandwidth and
disk space (I returned from 6 days vacation to find nearly 300 messages).
There is a lot of redundancy in english.  In fact, if we simply omitted
every sixth letter, I bet nbody wuld hae any poblem ndersandin everyhing.
W could xperient to ee wha the opimum i.  Probaly evey fifh leter cold b
left ut wihout ausig any roblm, and he 20 savig of sace wuld b very uch
wrthwile.  I xpec, howeer, tht leaing ot evey forth ettr wold sart o case
poblms, ad tht soe peple oul expriece dffiult.  I am lmot cetai tha leaing
ut eery hir lete wold e to mch, ut erap no.  I dub, hoevr, ha levig ot eer
seon lte cud ee wr.

Ry ibn

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

P.S.  I wish this idea were mine, but it isn't.  A friend, Bob Godt,
suggested something this years ago to stem the tide of scientific ink.
The world wasn't ready then, but now...