Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Subject: Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:28:49 -0500 (CDT)
> Mass. DMV sent him back all my paperwork saying he didn't need a title for
> the car because it's pre -76 or something....and yet they told me a
> different story. I took this letter stating this to IL DMV, and also
> *whisper* 'created' a bill of sale w/ the last registered owners name and sig.
> on it! They did the titl paperwork for me on the spot!

Don't worry that you 'created' this.  I have it on good authority that
there is no such thing as forgery in the absence of intent to defraud.
In plain American, this means that the stuff you did is not forgery just
because the previous owner did not sign it, or did not sign it on the
correct date.  It is only forgery if the previous owner swears that he
did not intend to sell you the car and that you forged the document to
steal the car from him.  Of course, if your "forgery" allowed you to
knowingly cheat the government out of some tax or the like, that would be
intent to defraud.