MGA cockpit rail bodge

To: jerry@tr2.com
Subject: MGA cockpit rail bodge
From: jhoward@argus.lowell.edu (James D. Howard II)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 21:37 MST
      I'd decided that the thing to do was to tap the rail for a pair
   of 6-32  machine screws.  Bad move, Jerry!  The Aluminum didn't take well
   to such a fine thread.  In fact, there appeared a pair of nice shiny smooth
   holes.  What to do?

As a side note, my mechanical engineer buddy thinks 6-32's should be
banned.  He thinks they are the weakest screw for their size, because
the threads are relatively large for the screw diameter.

      I decided to glue the screws in.  Cleaned the holes with lacquer thinner.
   Washed the screws themselves in lacquer thinner.  Made up a batch of PC-7
   epoxy.  This is the strong stuff.  Compared to this stuff, Bondo is soft
   as a pillow.  Stuffed the PC-7 into the holes.  Set the turnbutton on
   the rail, pushed the screws into the PC-7-filled holes.  Clamped it all
   together with a couple of tie wraps.

     So folks, what do you think?  Will the bodge work?

Depends on if you have them there for show or if you intend to use
them.  I don't trust glue, but if they are not subject to a lot of
strain, you should be okay.

James