Re: Question on 69 Spitfire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, keschhof@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Question on 69 Spitfire
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 14:56:51 CDT
Hey Kevin,

   >    First item: the engine has not been turned over for ? years.
   >    I am thinking of shooting some liquid wrench in the cylinders,

A light oil might be better unless you think the bores are really corroded.
If they are that bad though, you'd be better off just doing the rebuild...
I have used ATF with good results.  I suppose something like 3in1 oil would
work too.  If you can't get it to turn by hand, gentle rocking with the
car in gear might help.  If you get too vigorous, you might break a ring,
but since you're thinking of rebuilding anyway, that might not matter.

   >    Second, what does MK III signify?

Your '69 is the 3rd incarnation of the Spitfire.  The original was
called the Spitfire4 and had an 1150cc engine.  The Spitfire4 Mk2 was
similar to the original in specification but had some detail changes.
For the Mk3, they dropped the "4" in the name and gave it a larger
engine at 1296cc.  The Mk4 Spitfire got a new (heavier) body while
retaining a 1296cc engine.  This car was only available 1 year in the US
(1971).  For '72, the Spitfire got a 1496cc engine and was called the
Spitfire 1500.  If you are interested in a more detailed history, the
book by Lindsay Porter on the Spitfire and GT6 is worth reading.  It
is available through most of the big parts houses.

   >    Oh yeah, are there any clubs/organiztions/meets regionaly to
   >    NE Ohio? How about nationaly?

Nationally, there is VTR (Vintage Triumph Register).  There is a file
on the ftp server about it.

   >    Lastly, what does SOL stand for? I hope it's not "____ out of
   >    luck".

It stands for "Scions of Lucas".  I'm sure the originators delighted
at the potential confusion.

Have fun with the new toy,

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu