Various RaMblings and a Quest

To: BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Various RaMblings and a Quest
From: MILLIGANC@aspen.uml.edu
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 15:59:15 EDT
Greetings and Halucenations,
        Once again I have returned to U Lowell and its NET access.
        The summer was fun and the Vintage Fall Festival was a Blast!  I
went on Saturday only, for the 7 lap sprints.  Sunday is a Conquours Day....
no racing do to a local ordanence....well, that and there's a church less
than 400 yds. from the start/finish line!  Monday is the main program but
I had work....be sides it rained anyway.
        The Event is held every Labour Day Weekend at Lime Rock Park, CT.
Mark your calenders now for next year....it's worth it!  One Admision price,
$10 for saturday, gets you in, Parking, Padock admitance, and a swap meet
full of lbc stuff you rarely find elsewere....like TR parts and XK 120 bumpers!
        The cars on the track included Bentleys, Loti (sixes, sevens, 11's),
BMW's, Allards(JR's J2's and one of the tow Palm Beeach II coupes built),
jags ( xk 120's, 140's, 150's, E-types, and a REAL C-type!), mini's, MG's,
Morgans, Bugattis, Listers, Kurtises and more!

        We are curenty running a '33 Riley March Special, but the crank
and block for the '50 RM roadster are back from the machine shop.

        I am also looking for a set of Alfin heads with the ALLARD logo
on them.  While the car is a '48 it uses a 21 stud Flat-head(groan) which
the English used into the fifties....log after the US's 24 stud model.
        While I don't like this motor(I avoid calling it an Engine) it IS
appropiate for this particular car, given its history so we're keeping it.
        While this on is an M-type, we have an M2X that we pulled the flat-
head out of in favour for a late 50's Caddy...with a Detriot Racing 2-4 intake.

        If anyone has a set of these heads theyed like to sell/trade I'd like
to communicate with them.  True leads would be helpfull to.

        While the car curently has an ALLARD dual carb intake, it doesn't
have the heads because, according to a guy who worked for Allard, they didn't
make them till after the '49 Monte Carlo Rallye....maybe 1950.

The following are other comments from the list:

------------------------------

> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 11:01:00 -0500 (EST)
> From: Colin Brace <BRACEC@A1.MGH.HARVARD.EDU>
> Subject: re: MGB 15" Wheels

>          A good source of 15" wheels that bolt right up to an MGB are SAAB
>          steel wheels. Done it. Been there. Rims from my (previous) 1984

        A good source for 15" 122s Volvo wheels are old Plymoth wheels.  We
used them on our wagon for a few winters because we had a set of narrow
studded 15" snow tires on them.  Got better gas milage with the big wheels,
too.  Also found that 16" jag rims worked on the back(drum brakes) of GM large
5 lug bolt pattern, if you grind out the center a little.  Unfortunatley, the
rims WE have didn't have enough off set for the front disk breaks.  We used
them one the back of our '72 suburban because they had 6 ply truck tires on
them.  The seller said he had them on his xk120 for a while....6 plys on a
120?  The guys kidneys must've taken an awful beating!
------------------------------

> Subject: Question on 69 Spitfire
<snip>
        Lastly, what does SOL stand for? I hope it's not "____ out of
        luck".
<snip>

        Naw, that would be SO2L: Sulfur Dioxide-Lucas.  That the interesting
aroma of a parked-too-long british car that has just been started with the
help of a can of ether!! ;-)
------------------------------

> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 18:08:42 PDT
> From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1370 Tue Sep 20 11:27:47 MDT 1994

>|      Gee, I always thought hat Chuck was referring to a "souped
>|      up Jimmy"... or a GMC Pick-up truck. 'Just the thing for an
>
>|              Greg "ole sausage fingers" Petrolati

> I think you might be close to right. I remember that back in the 50s
> the trick setup for a Chevy 6 sedan was to swap in a GMC 6. I think
> the Jimmy was sort of a bolt in but had better ports and much better
> oiling. The Chevy 6s had some kind of splash oiling untill sometime in the
> mid 50s and had a reputation for not staying together when hopped up.

        No, the GMC was most commonly used do to it's 235 cid.  A bigger
engine than most Chevs.  Even the pre-'42 trucks.  Yeah, it was a bolt in.
Better ports?  Maybey, but I doubt it.  Though some trucks DID use a two
carb intake....good for a hop-up.  But as for splash oiling, NO!!!!!!!!
As far as I know they've had an oil pump since day one!  At least the OHV
engines did! And that dates back to the twenties!

> /Dick (I was a flathead Ford driver)

        .....In which case you are well aquanted with engines that have a
reputation for not staying together when hopped up!

                        Good Evening, and Good Sprite,

                                Kilroy