Re:Shell drops lead-replacement protection in Canada

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Shell drops lead-replacement protection in Canada
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 1994 09:46:42 -0400
FRom Henry Stevens:

Shell spent a great deal of money advertising their gasoline as a
classic-friendly brand when the Canadian government banned the sale of
leaded gas here. I've been using it in my MGB without any difficulty.

So now we'll have to plug the additives in ourselves when we fill up, or
will have to ante up for a new head I guess (for our cars).

While no authority on the subject, I would suppose that one could get many
miles(years) out of your LBC before suffering valve seat recession due to the
lack of lead in today's gasolines. This is asssuming your LBC is not a daily
driver and not racking up lots of miles. When it comes to the time to fix it,
just grind the valves and replace the seats with hardened ones.

In any case. I don't think I'd go out of my way to add cancer-causing agents
to my gas tank every time I had to fill up. It would be more convenient(and
safe) to bite-the-bullet, fix the seats & be done with it -if seat wear is
deemed to be excessive.

-Bob T.