RE: Paint for TR7 undersides?

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Paint for TR7 undersides?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:20:50 -0700
ZinkZ10C@aol.com wrote :

> For various projects I use "Extend" brand rust converter by Permatex.  It
> is/contains Phosphoric acid to convert the rust to a more stable
> compound.

Permatex Extend (used to be Duro Extend) is a lot different than the old
phosphoric acid "Naval Jelly".  It has some sort of catalytic reaction with
the rust, and in fact will not turn black if the surface is completely free
of rust.  One of the hazards of using the liquid is that if you stick a
brush back into the bottle after brushing it on the surface, it may
contaminate the bottle with already catalyzed liquid, which will eventually
convert the entire bottle.

I've been using a very similar product called Klean-Strip Rust Converter.
It's main advantage is that it's available at Wal-Mart (with the Bondo and
whatnot).

Randall