Re: Motor shipping

To: mikey@b2systems.com, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Motor shipping
From: DEVierling@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:34:06 EDT
Mike,
Nope, that's too heavy for UPS and they really aren't set up for that kind of
item.

Truck freight is the way to go.  Find a used pallet (many businesses have
them stacked up out back by the dumpster) and either band or bolt the engine
to the pallet.  If it has to go from the ground into the truck tell them they
need a truck with a lift-gate and a pallet jack.  The driver can then wheel
your engine onto the lift-gate and up into the truck.

I would get quotes from three or four different van-lines.  Interstate
trucking is priced with a tariff system so you might get wide variation in
prices depending on what tariff they use for rating your engine.  If you're
unhappy with the price you can try asking them to rate it on a different
tariff.

Insurance would be a good idea too.  Insure it for the replacement value.
Insurance is something like a $1 for every $100 over some minimum value.
Probably $20 for $2000 worth of insurance.  Shouldn't get broken (like UPS),
but freight does get lost!

Hope that helps.
donny v
1978 MGB