RE: New Motor

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: New Motor
From: "Jones, Daniel C" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:43:11 -0600
> Yo Dan.......what a lucky find.  I don't think you are ever going to get
> to drive
> one of these motors....too many projects......too many
> detours.....chuckle.

Yes, I think it's a conspiracy.  This years the year though.  The 215 is
priority one.  I move back to St. Louis this weekend.  Of course my
engine is in Ohio but that's no big deal.

> Just for the record, if the 300 heads are close to stock thickness,
> milling
> .060 off them will reduce the head volume from 54 cc to 43cc and they
> don't
> seem to suffer any problems in normal get a little crazy driving.

I went back and read your stroker article again and noticed that.  When the
266 shows up, I'll take some measurements and figure out whether to use
the Buick 300 heads or a set of Rover heads I have.  I'm leaning towards
porting the Rover heads and installing larger valves.  That will get the
compression up to 10.5:1 or so and give a good port match with the
Edelbrock Performer Rover, Edelbrock 2 x 2 barrel, and Wilpower intake
manifolds.

I finally figured out why Buick dished their pistons the way they did.  It's

for quench.  As the piston rises in the bore, the raised ring around the
circumference of the piston forces the mixture towards the centrally
mounted spark plug.

Oiling system modifications are still under evaluation.  The 50233 Crower
cam in the 266 will supposedly spin to 7000 rpm, so modifications may
be needed.  I've got the Ruggles guide which shows the modifications
done to high rpm Buck V6's.  I may do something similar.

Wouldn't mind having a set of roller rockers but prices are pretty high.
One of the list members from Australia is checking into the Yella Terra
ones for me.  He wants my spare set of Buick 300 heads and crank, so
maybe we can work a deal.  Also, Wilpower's representative in New
Zealand has offered up his roller rockers.  He has 3 different sets at
$1000, $1500, and $3000 (NZ dollars), respectively.  Ouch.  Makes the
T&D Machine set look cheap.  What others are out there?  Kenne Bell,
Crane?

> I have 82K miles on the stroker and its still running.  I suspect the
> valve guides
> are getting a bit loose so oil consumption is a bit high, but it still
> passes smog
> just fine.

82K, geez it has been a while.  Do you ever let the engine cool off?

> One of these days I will start the next motor which will be a 4.7L (3.9 &
> 300 crank).

Let me know when you do.  I'd like to compare notes.  I've got the
parts to do one of those one day as well.

Dan Jones