Suspension Design/Strut Mods

To: "mods" <toyota-mods@cyberauto.com>, "kitracers" <kitracers@kcbbs.gen.nz>,
Subject: Suspension Design/Strut Mods
From: "phil.bradshaw" <phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 97 08:42:55 PDT
Thanks again for all the good replies. Next step is to get accurate
measurements and then start mapping it out on paper. Two questions tho;

 -Does anyone know of/have any suspension design software (specifically
something that easily displays camber etc changes) Maybe I just have to
have a play with a CAD package. Anyone done anything like this? Another
idea I had was design a cunning spreadsheet that worked out the geometry
changes.Probably an impossible task. Ideas?

-Next question - to lower the front of the car, one option is using shorter
FWD Toyota struts and insert them into my Capri cast stub axles. This
effectively moves the stub axle up the strut, but will not afffect
suspension travel. Obviously I have to make sure nothing hits the body
before the suspension is hard on the bump stops. Anyone done anything like
this? I cannot figure how the stub axles are attached to the struts - there
is no obvious weld bead, so I am inclined to think they are sweated on.
Thoughts on welding these things and heattreat etc on completion?
Alternatively as the struts are the same diameter I can join the two tubes
together and add a sleeve for strength. Sage advice anyone?

My biggest concern is a guesstimate that the blown Anglia will be capable
of 130 mph (altho it may have achieved lift off by that stage!) - and I
really don'y want to lose wheels at that speed (face it, I don't want to
lose wheels at any speed!)

Racing is great right up till the moment you die!

Phil Bradshaw
Auckland NZ

Leitch Supersprint 20 Valve Lotus 7 Replica
Anglia 105GZE Supercharged 4AGZE Clubcar Project

phil.bradshaw@clear.net.nz
64-9-4455509 W/Fax
64-9-4437055 H