Re: CV joints

To: "Betty Braun" <elan66@ccia.com>
Subject: Re: CV joints
From: "Andres Sta. Maria" <atocha@globe.com.ph>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 12:03:39 +0800
Mike,

I installed Tony Thompson's shortened Koni dampers, which he revalves for
competition use as well.  I hope to make next weekend's historic races at
Subic Raceway - the first for my Elan - and will let you know how they feel.
I have Tony Thompson's "glide-coated" sliding splines, which require the
droop restriction.  These comply with our own historic race regulations (and
it seems FIA's as well), because they are very similar to the 26R's
ball-bearing system.  But I note Erik's argument about Rotoflexes being
closer in principle to the CV joints.  I must remember that!

For road use, I would probably go with the Rotoflexes, since they do last a
long time, given reasonable treatment.  They are just so hard to fit.

I also enjoyed Erik Berg's very instructive treatise on CV joints and look
forward to a further installment.  I hope someone will be encouraged to
develop a CV conversion that just bolts in place of the Rotoflexes and their
intermediate shafts, perhaps using the worked-on CV joints available from
Pegasus Racing.

Regards,

Andres
1969 Lotus Elan S4 DHC