Re: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748

To: Rod Bean <rodbean@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:23:18 -0500 (EST)
>And also, it costs manufacturers less to make them... bottom line rules.
>
>We who refuse to be sucked into conformity have less from which to choose
>and are forced to spend more money.  Could be worse.

Personally, living in New England, I think fwd is better for basic
transportation, since no one calls rain delays for life. I love my +2, but
it is downright scary in the rain with less than 1/2 a tank of gas. I have
never driven it in the snow, and don't wish to. With FWD comes better
packaging efficiency, better fuel economy through weight savings and less
drivetrain mass, and lower costs. And just think, without FWD, do you think
any of those cool mid engined cars we love [elise, europa,] would be around?
Not a chance, too expensive. All around, I think FWD is a positive thing.
That does not mean it is the best thing to make a car handle, just that that
is a small percentage of what most people do with their cars, and when they
do need it, many FWD plebian cars handle as well as their RWD counterparts.

Keith