Re: Re[2]: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748

To: rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748
From: Mike Causer <mikec@cam-ani.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 97 19:16:46 GMT
Mornin' all.   As this is my first post to this list I suppose I
ought to introduce myself.  But then I don't think I've seen any
names here that are not already on the Lotus-cars list, so I guess
you already know me.

<Fx:  cries of "Boo", "Gerroff", "Go away" etc>

rebean@CCGATE.HAC.COM wrote on Thu, 18 Dec 97 -

> But plodding around in snow isn't quite what most of us think of as
>performance
> driving.  And even in just rain, I would much rather have a little less pure
> traction if I can have balance.

Rod, I can assure you that there are some fwd cars with balance.  And that
driving on snow can be performance driving.  You can drive to a much higher
fraction of the limit without anyone really noticing, and I consider a long
journey on snow or in heavy rain to require as much attention as circuit
racing, and to give good rewards when you do it right.

On snow an fwd with the weight over the driven and steered wheels is
potentially a lot faster than a fe-rwd, and probably faster than a re-rwd
(although my experience of those is limited).  I am amazed how slowly people
go in their fwd cars and how much they hold me up in the Excel.  The Excel is
fun, no doubt about it, but those sideways overtakes tend to worry the
overtakee a lot ;-)

You really, really ought to try a decently set-up Cooper S, preferably with
a fly-off handbrake.  If I had one, and someday I _am_ going to have another,
I'd say come on over, there's snow on the ground, try it.

BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm mainly in the rwd camp.  I bought an
M100 Elan new, didn't like it, and sold it as promptly as I could.

Mike

  Mike Causer -- Support Manager -- Cambridge Animation Systems
  Email: MikeC@cam-ani.co.uk             Phone: +44 1223 578100
  Web: http://www.cam-ani.co.uk/           Fax: +44 1223 578101