Re: Re[2]: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Digest lotus-cars.v002.n748
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 18:05:14 -0500 (EST)

>So that leaves fwd, or better yet, fwd with rwd added (4wd) with all the
>front-biased weight distribution that implies as the best solution to the
>traction problem for most people (apparently, including you).

Of course, mid engine[ front or rear] AWD would be preferable, but for those
of us currently limited to 5 cars or less, and given that in the northeast
we get precipitation twice a week on average, a year round beater is called
for, with some sort of all weather traction, so given the choices, the Audi
suits my year round needs much better than most of my previous rwd or fwd
beaters. It is not my preferred mode of transport, but it is fairly
interesting to flog through the
two rotaries I go through every day, considering the entire engine is 8
inches forward of the front axle. I regularly outbrake punks irritated that
I dared pass them in a *sedan* for crying out loud, and can get on the
throttle so much sooner than other non lotus vehicles that I usually have
several hundred feet on them when they finally exit the bigger of the
rotaries. This is for people who are trying. Comatose minivan drivers are
rarely seen again. The +2 is even more fun, but I doubt it has much more
terminal speed, its forte would be smaller radius corners.

>That's fine.  My problem is not the existance of fwd, only that, with such a
>proliferation of them, we who are not disposed to fwd have very little from
>which to choose.  Mercedes Benz, BMW, the high end Lexuses and Infinities are
>available of course, but for a price.

Truthfully, I don't see it as any different from when 20 years ago all
American cars were rwd, but handled awfull. The cars worth driving have
always been few and far between, no matter which end is driven.

>At moderate cornering loads, in slippery conditions, fwd does give more
traction
>to the front wheels.  That makes fwd a *safe* choice for the average
driver.  I
>agree.
>
>But plodding around in snow isn't quite what most of us think of as
performance
>driving.  And even in just rain, I would much rather have a little less pure
>traction if I can have balance.

Sorry, I vote for traction. While the +2 is actually just fine in the
wet[and I have at least amusing story about that] I don't tend to do any
performance driving in it for simple economic reasons[whoops, guess I took
that one a bit fast,   THUMP   aw shit]

  I don't understand why the +2 would be so scary
>in the rain (having driven my Elans which are lighter still in the rain
quite a
>bit to my great delight) but it may just be perspective.

Perhaps I exagerate, its just a bit tail happy when on the throttle.

Now if I could only find an AWD transaxle for my europa............

Keith