RE: One Fine Day/insanity

To: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>,
Subject: RE: One Fine Day/insanity
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:27:13 -0400

----------
From:   pkort@cis.picker.com[SMTP:pkort@cis.picker.com]
Sent:   Monday, August 02, 1999 7:25 AM
To:     Jim Tyler
Cc:     'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'

  Not quite!  Stock I don't have to buy parts for nor do I have to insure it
based on its current value.

Well think of it as stock with an account maintenace fee and high broker
fees.   Makes it a pretty bad investment UNLESS it goes up substancially
in value.

  I looked a different makes and models before buying my 1600 and I have owned a
couple of other makes.  High prices kept me from some cars and seeing MGBs and
Triumphs on every corner during the summers kept me away from them.  The draw to
Datsun was the low price combined with the rarity.

If the worth of the roadster goes up, it still won't change the number that
were made.
It might save a few more from the scrap yard though, and believe me that is
where many are
going since they aren't worth restoring!

If my 1600 was suddenly worth 5 time what it is today, I won't be able to
insure it and
you can bet ( no offense to our suppliers ) that the parts prices would soar.

I don't think you are thinking realistically.  If we were able to double the
value, I think we would
be lucky, a 3x is probably not within reason.

Parts cost is driven by competition between suppliers/Nissan in this market.
We can't
sell you a fuel pump for 90.00 if you can buy it from Nissan for 50.00.
I think the only thing that will greatly affect that is if Nissan shuts down
the source.
If that happens prices will skyrocket.

Also a 2x increase isn't going to affect your insurance rate that much anyway,
car insurance
is generally a nonlinear function, dependant on lots of  variables!

  Yes, I could make a buck when I sold it, but I bought it to drive!

You bought your house to live in, but it certainly is nice if it
appreciates....since
your taxes and insurance almost definately will go up (this is the U.S.) it
certainly is nice
to get something back when you sell....

Jim

Thats like owning a 25.00 stock and not wanting it to go to 75.00 because you
like
it affordable???????  Like it or not the Datsun is an investment.