Re: Brake Fade

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fade
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 12:06:23 -0800
Here's a guess-
        if you changed the MC, it's possible that it's not shimmed correctly.
If the pistons in the cylinder can't retract far enough, they never open
to the reservoirs.  Once the brakes warm up, the fluid expands , and the
brakes start to apply themselves.  That'll make 'em fade like crazy.
The pushrod between the pedal and the MC should be loose when the
pedal's all the way up...
        The other thing- did you scuff up your rotors when you put on the new
pads?  It helps them seat better.  When you put new pads on old rotors,
the pads usually only touch the rotors in a few spots, and have to wear
a bit to conform to the whole rotor.  The accepted procedure is to brake
gently a few times, then do a series of moderate braking slowdowns, with
plenty of cooldown time in-between.  But I expect you knew this...
Toby