Re: Bodywork, and door cracks

To: HIGHKIX4@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bodywork, and door cracks
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:06:35 EST
In a message dated 12/11/1999 6:16:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
HIGHKIX4@aol.com writes:

>  Well,
>  nice and light, no side impact beams, but
>  flimsy in this case due to some fatigue
>  cracks on the outer skin up and fwd by the vent
>  wings.  Cracks about 3 inches long, spreads
>  open when metal is pulled as it would be in
>  opening the door....have others seen this?
>  I think I might actually have to have these
>  tig or mig welded, as I see no way to
>  use my favorite body work tool "the magic of fiberglass"

That is VERY common on roadsters! In fact, I believe every roadster I've had
has suffered from the "CRACK OF DOOM!" On my black frame off car, the body
shop MIGed the crack and applied some bondo over it to smooth the whole thing
out. That is probably THE best permanent solution.
If I remember correctly...the doors tend to crack at that point because there
is a seam there that's sealed with a dab of lead. Then you have the vent
window which pushes against the seam every time you close the door...so it'll
fail sooner or later. Welding it up is the way to go...

Van
- http://members.xoom.com/BADROC