High velocity

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: High velocity
From: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@t-three.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:06:12 -0500
I went for a speed run last Saturday just to see what my 2000 would do...I
hadn't tried a top speed run since prepping the car for CSP several years
ago and with all this talk of speed records...I just couldn't stand it!
Anyhow, I ran out of steam at 6350rpm in 5th, 3.89's, and 205/50/15. Works
out to about 133mph although the speedo (Autometer) said 142. The car
probably would have gone faster with 3.70's or larger diameter tires, as
6350rpm is a bit past peak hp. BTW, the 6350rpm figure is not a guess, it
was plucked from my fuel computer.

I'm curious as to how many of you are relying on speedometer readings and
how many are actually calculating speed? Also, are you using a U20 or
something else, and how did the car feel at top speed, handling
wise...fairly secure or downright scary? Mine felt rather twitchy, but
that's expected of a car set up for under 60mph autocrossing. I don't think
I would have even attempted such a speed run with stock suspension/tires.

Non-Roadster content: Anyone got an impressive personal top speed in a
non-roadster? I used to own a '70 240Z with a 13B rotary turbo...intercooler
filled the entire nose, header wrapped to the front of the engine where
there was room for the turbo, 3.54 viscous LSD (from a Q45) and 225/50/16. I
hit the rev limiter in 4th (8500rpm) and got scared. That calculated to
about 185mph, and it could have gone faster...with someone else driving it.

Rob Robinson
CSP 67 2000 (not Solexes...45mm throttle bodies)
Roanoke, VA