Re: High velocity

To: <ej99176@goodnet.com>
Subject: Re: High velocity
From: "Mike Kerr" <mikekerr@innercite.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:44:15 -0800
<<Is this the U-20 turbo of yours that had the cobbled up single SU carb
with a
welded together float bowl because it kept running out of gas? I have
trouble
comparing the single overhead can two valve per cylinder, mile long cam
chain,
old distributor technology that gets 350? horsepower with the FJ-20 that
starts
out with 4 valves per,computerized ignition, fuel injected, dual overhead
cams,
designed for charging to 25 lbs,175 horse stock motor that with custom equal
length exhaust header and new Mitsubishi 16G turbo with 9.5 lbs. boost and
the
numbers only come to approximately 305 horsepower. My math must be wrong!
Must
be the fact that the FJ tachs to 8500 rpm +or is it the 3 inch throttle body
that isn't as good as the old welded up carb?

Has to do with boost pressure and how well the engine breaths,  the U20
head breath very well ,  really doesn't matter if you have 2 3 4 5 or even 6
valves per cylinder....  you gain some breathing but that difference is not
that much when you add a  turbo ,   as far as the "cobbled up single SU carb
" when under high boost as long as you get fuel to the cylinder you will get
power, there is so much heat and turbulence going on that any extra fuel
will just blow out the exhaust. But the carb did quite well actually i got
30 Mph cursing, and on the average 25 mpg. >>  You must remember that the
inlet for the turbo for a U20 Is only 1 3/4 dia.  there is no advantage
going to a 3 inch carb you still have to go through the 1 3/4 inch turbo
inlet...  the chain, ignition, and all the other fancy stuff on your engine
really adds very little HP , the big difference between your motor and mind
is boost pressure I'm pushing almost twice as much boost  18 lbs. to your 9
lbs. that is what makes the big difference. Air + fuel = HP the more boost
the more air add fuel and you get more HP :-)

Mike Kerr
Roadster Restoration
3730 Todrob LN.
Placerville CA. 95667