Re: Woo-Hoo New Steering Wheel

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Woo-Hoo New Steering Wheel
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 15:27:26 -0800
Dan,
A steering wheel puller is the best way to go, but here's an
alternative:
1) disconnect the horn wiring at the horns (keeps the noise down),
2) remove the horn button, press in and rotate counterclockwise,
3) remove the coil spring and disconnect the horn button from wiring -
set aside,
4) loosen the 7/8" nut, this may be fairly tight, plus it requires all
arm strength since you must hold the steering wheel and turn the nut at
the same time.
5) leave the nut on, but loosen it enough to cover any exposed threads
on the end of the steering shaft (try to get about an 1/8" gap between
the bottom of the nut and the wheel),
6) now here's the trick - you might need some help here
 - pull the wheel toward you (as if you where trying to pull it off the
shaft),
 - while holding the wheel, give the steering shaft a good whack with a
*soft* hammer,
This is usually enough to break the wheel loose of the tapered
connection. Note you have to pull the wheel pretty hard to take up the
play in the steering shaft bearings to allow the shaft to move away from
the wheel. Use a plastic or rawhide hammer so you don't damage the shaft
threads.

Caution on installing your new wheel, check the clearance between the
wheel's turn signal cancel points (mine were roll pins) and the turn
signal switch. You may need to re-locate the switch a little closer to
the dash. I didn't check carefully and those roll pins destroyed that
pot-metal switch in a jiffy.  Good luck and don't stay up too late on
Christmas Eve working on your car.

Todd Osborn
DATSFUN (2x68 2L)
San Jose, CA