powder coating

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: powder coating
From: Pam & Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:47:47 -0800
Anyone have experience with powder coating those nasty, rusting parts on
a roadster? My gauges are currently in being restored. It has reached
the point where the ring bezels will go back on. On my 67 the bezels
were chromed. Well, the metal is starting to fatigue (I know how it
feels!) and it is thought that the chrome will crack when reinstalling
the bezels on the gauges. I'm more of a 'looks good, lasts long time'
type of purist when it comes to car restoration, so, how about powder
coating? I know it isn't chrome, but I've seen fiddly bits done in
powder coating and they look real nice.

The powder coating shop says that the coating may crack as well, but I
thought I would poll those of you with experience in such things for a
second opinion. And BTW, would any of you know the color code for
something that is a reasonable facsimle of chrome?

Paul
67 1600