Re: Question

To: <RiedelD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:00:16 -0800
>John Sandhoff  wrote: about timing a '69 2000:  I think you already know,
but you CANNOT simply reset the  timing to 16 degrees unless you change the
weights and cam plate to a '7.5' unit.  Otherwise you run way too much
advance and run the risk of piston meltdown. To  check, carefully remove the
breaker plate (don't drop any screws :-) ) and  look for a stamped number on
the cam plate. 7.5 means pre-smog (15 degrees  mechanical advance). 17 means
smog; wants to be timed at 0 degrees - ugh. Any  other number means you've
got the wrong distributor in there :-). And the vacuum advance goes to the
barb on the carb (top
 front for 2000,

>Then Dave Riedel Asked - Is this the same desired distributor for a '69
solex 2000?
I'm still wondering about my timing. No vacuum advance for solex, I believe,
right?

You lucky Cannucks with your Solex powered late models! Yes, It's the same
distributor That came on all the pre-68 cars, 1600's and two liters.  The
Solex cars have no vacuum advance and are timed to 20 btc. It's the same
dizzy, just fashion an aluminium plate to cover where the vacuum diaphram
was.

Instead of rebuilding your 31 year old unit, which may have shaft wear, buy
a new one. It doesn't cost much more! I bought mine from Ross three years
ago And it came with points, rotor, cap and condenser. Best $120.00 I've
spent so far (although the price may have changed, it's still a good deal).

Victor
70 SRL 31113136
Los Angeles
SoCalROC http://www.ameri-eagle.com/datsun/