Re: <<LONG>> National Datsun Meet

To: CalSpeed@aol.com
Subject: Re: <<LONG>> National Datsun Meet
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:30:12 -0800
OK Folks, weighing in...

Politics and money.

Those seem to be (in my opinion) the two main obstacles here. Politics in
the sense of "who do we invite"? All Datsuns? Just sports cars? Trucks?
Money in the sense that whomever decides to take this on is risking losing a
lot of money. Michael was right, tack rental, insurance, liability, paying
people to judge, make awards and clean up our trash is not cheap. We are not
talking about a ROC run here.

I still think that Colorado Springs is a good location. I also think it is a
good idea to invite any car made by Nissan/Datsun. It is obvious that we
would need to get Nissan involved to sponser or this won't happen. Again, if
we can convince Nissan that there is revenue to be generated from this
venture then they will buy in. But there are no guarantees and I think that
will be a problem.

So I am probably biting off more than I can chew here, but I think that the
only way to make anything happen is for someone to at least attempt to make
the first steps. Since I don't hear the thundering of feet by people rushing
to volunteer, I will do it. Nissan Motors America is headquarted in Southern
California. They also will of course be showing at the Los Angeles Auto Show
next month. I will start knocking on doors and calling people. I will
probably start with the marketing types and see what develops. I will also
start contacting every Datsun/Nissan related club I can find and attempt to
get them on board. I am going to get turned down/refused, laughed at and
maybe ignored, but I will just try a different avenue if one does not work
out. Not everyone will come. I'd be happy to get 1/3. I'd be ecstatic to get
half.

I am not looking for glory or recognition or money or anything. We WILL need
to organize and probably incorporate if we want this to come off. We will
need to collect registration fees and we will need to keep books. Until
someone comes up with a better plan than mine I will continue to focus on a
National meet in the Spring/Summer of 2002 in Colorado Springs.

If things start to come to fruition, I will be asking for key person's help.
You probably already know who you are.

Folks, I am tired of hearing why this can't be done. I may fail, but I
intend to give it the best try I can. I am going to start with sponsorship.
If I can swing one decent title sponsor then we are at least started.

Wish me luck.

Andrew Murphy