Re: Exciting News!

To: solex67@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Exciting News!
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:55:29 -0000
I've got to throw my hand up on the Solex side, I guess.

Having said that, I don't know any different.  AFAIK, ALL the 2000's in
Australia are the factory Solex setup - cam, sump & all. So I don't have
much to compare with.

What I can tell you, though, is that my roadster is my daily driver.
Goes to work, (well, not daily, if there's no client visits planned, I'll go
public transport), goes to Mum's, goes camping, goes anywhere.

Goes quick, too! ;)

So if you're concerned with driveability issues, I guess, like anything, you
get used to it.  Certainly it's a little peakier than my last car - a Holden
Barina (Opel Corsa to most of you guys).  Once you're over 3000rpm, it's so
responsive, it's incredible!  You just have to THINK faster or slower, and
she does it.  But she's happily driveable below 3k.  And over 4000rpm, it's
the sexiest sounding car I've ever driven, so I don't mind getting up there,
from time to time.;)

Actually, one thing I do notice, though, is a change in driving style.  I
actually DRIVE 1st gear now.  For example, where in earlier cars (not
earlier in date, just previous cars - all 4 cylinders by the way) I would
have used 2nd gear to turn into a side street, if I want to move it along in
the 2000, I'll flick down to 1st.  The tall gearing & rev-happy motor almost
means you've kind of got an extra gear to play with, down there, compared to
some cars where you just forget about 1st once you're moving.

And the only other thing I'll add (this post is MUCH longer than I expected)
is the issue of keeping things stock.  If it's important to you, then the
Solex's, I guess, should only be used if you are going the "whole hog" as it
were.  If you do, though, rest assured, you'll have a damn quick, fun car to
play with!

Cheers,

Steve
1968 2000 Solex
(which blew away a Honda Civic on a freeway - on 3 cylinders!)