Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 07:21:50 -0700
Alex Avery wrote:

> Ok, this may be the weirdest electrical problem I've run across.
> He pulled over onto the grass by the side of the road and when he got out,
> he noticed smoke emerging from around the sides of the hood.  He popped the
> hood and saw what he thought were "wires" on fire!
>
> When I looked at the "wires" he told me about, I realized they weren't
> wires at all--they were his throttle cable and one of the choke cables.
>
> On the choke cable, it's metal with a plastic cover over that.  The plastic
> has boiled along the whole length of cable and this cable is now bonded to
> the other non-melted choke cable.

Alex,
It sounds like you do not have any ground straps from the engine.
Should have not less that one for each sid to the frame.  If you
do have straps then they are probably corroded. Clean contacts
if this is so.  That should be the first place to look.
You will probably have to replace those cables now.
They became the ground and burnt up.
Bob.