Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable

To: RWM <RWM@rwmann.com>
Subject: Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:20:13 -0500
Generally folks have the smoking wire problem when they are operating the
starter.  I would guess that it would take more than 50 amps to make the
cables heat up enough to smoke, maybe over 100 amps, so, if the car has
a stock 30 amp alternator I don't think it could be causing enough current
to flow.  But if it has a 63 amp or 100+ amp alternator and the voltage
regulator is fender mounted, the voltage differential between the engine
(alternator) and fender (regulator) could cause the alternator to think
that the regulator is calling for more current, which would be transfered
via the choke and throttle cable.

In the original post it was mentioned that the engine was becoming unresponsive.
This could also be caused by a higher voltage on the engine block when
compared to that of the battery.  This would make the points put a voltage
higher than ground to the coil, keepint the magnetic field from being as
large as it should be, hence, producing less spark than normal.

Peace,
Pat

--

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner