Re: overflow tube

To: "Matt Silvey" <matt12@rcip.com>
Subject: Re: overflow tube
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 20:39:44 -0700
Matt:

I'm beginning to think there is something to this. The problem I mentioned
in my earlier post about needle profiles and performance may be related to
this. I'll be willing to bet that just about every car with SU carbs has a
different overflow tube setup on it. If you examine what this tube does,
it's clear that it is more than just a fuel dump device.

Looking at diagrams of the carbs, it appears that the tube acts as vent in
the float chamber, allowing the correct amount of gas to flow in at the
proper rate. It's possible that incorrect placement of the overflow tube
could cause more than just an engine fire.

If your roadster is running good on SUs, please let me know how the overflow
tubes are set up. At worst, we may discover what not to do when changing
these things out.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600