Re: Jaremko at the vintage races

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaremko at the vintage races
From: SRL311guy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:56:45 EDT
Marc wrote:
<< If it were a BRE airdam, it would be fine for most vintage groups as there
is plenty of documentation for them. However, with the '69 cut off this group
uses, even these may not be allowed.>>

Photos of the '69 Daytona Runoffs show BRE cars with the air dam. I
understand that even in '69 they were allowed only after a protest and a
favorable rule interpretation by SCCA.

<<The dash is a sheet-aluminum fabrication. While it looks nice, it is
definitely not a production item. A quick survey around the pits showed me
that the other cars were using original dashes (even the Porsches).>>
<<Well now this I might try to argue for. *IF* the rules from '69 allowed it,
and
if it can be documented on *any* car (any make any model) from the era that
ran
in that class, then it should be an allowable modification. OTOH if the '69
rules forbade it, or there is no documentation that *anyone* ever ran a fabbed
dash, then I'd say it shouldn't be allowed.>>

In the 1967 SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) for production classes,
removal of interior trim and passenger seat was not allowed. Interior mods
were allowed only for *safety & convenience of driver*...mounting aftermarket
gauges, safety equip, etc. as long as it didn't change performance. So it
seems some dash mods were OK....my '68 model year Bob Sharp racecar was
delivered new with a flat panel dash.

Starting with the 1972 GCR, all interior trim could be removed (gutted)
except for, strangely, the door panels.

Craig Carter