Re: Jaremko at the vintage races

To: marcsayer@home.com
Subject: Re: Jaremko at the vintage races
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:58:35 -0000
>From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
>To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Jaremko at the vintage races
>Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:51:57 -0700
>
>Well I don't know the specifics of this situation, and I will admit there
>is a
>fair amount of anti Japanese bias in most vintage/historic racing. But, it
>is
>*vintage* racing folks. You are supposed to prepare a car to its original
>as-raced specs (if it is a real vintage race car) or build one to the specs
>of
>the period (if you are creating a purpose built vintage car). Either way
>you
>must build it using parts and materials available at the time and legal at
>the
>time. That means no modern billet aluminum, CNC machined calipers, or
>modern FI,
>or modern DIS ignitions, etc. Remember, vintage racing is not real racing.
>If
>someone wants that they should go SCCA or other club racing, where its all
>about
>winning, and pushing the rules to win is part of the game. Vintage is about
>enjoying older race cars at speed, with the emphasis on enjoying and not on
>wining.

I understand where you're coming from, but it seems that the emphasis has
turned in this case.  And sure, the car should be "as raced in period" - the
brakes issue is small one, IMO - the stock brakes with the right pads &
discs should stop any n/a Datsun roadster with no problems - consistently.
But if you've set up a car to win, and you're doing so within the bounds of
the rules given, it's a real pain when the rules are changed just to slow
you down.

<snip>
>Who cares what class they put him in? Look at it as a compliment, instead
>of
>taking offense. They think a 2000 is so good it has to run up a class. If
>he
>really is 4 seconds faster than the rest of the class he "should" be in,
>then
>perhaps they are right. Maybe he belongs in a faster class. I know I
>wouldn't
>want to run in a class where I had no competition.

While I agree with you, that's YOUR choice (and probably would be mine).
It should be HIS choice (and not someone else's forced on him).
Though - if his car is over 2000cc, then it's over 2000cc.
Again though - changes to his vehicle should only be enforced BETWEEN
seasons, IMO.
It's a shame that even club level racing gets like this.
It's part of the reason that I'm drawn more and more towards historic
rallying - at least around here, the emphasis is less on how fast, and
beating everyone, and more on having fun.

Cheers,

Steve
('68 2000 Solex)