RE: shimming a tensioner

To: "'James M Koken'" <james.m.koken@gte.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: shimming a tensioner
From: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:03:17 -0700
Mike Koken Said - There has been talk about shimming the tensioner on the
2000. I don't quite understand how this is done.

The upper chain Tensioner has 2 main parts, the body and the piston/shoe.
The objet of "Shimming" is to limit the ammount the piston/shoe can retract
back into the body. This wil less the time it takes for the oil pressure to
extend the shoe to the chain. I have been told that you should shim even new
componets. Well not brand new since there isn't much space for a shim when
newly installed. Someone also suggested that the best shim for a small
clearence was .. (drum roll please) a tie wrap. I think that's an excellent
idea. if it fails, it will get chewed up fairly harmless (well bits MAY clog
somthing).

Victor
70 SRL 31113136
65 L-320 Pickup